You can read more about TweakTown's Storage Product Testing Workstation and the procedures followed to test products in this article.
Today we will be presenting performance data for four OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in different capacities. There was one small difference between firmware on the drives. The 100 and 120GB were tested with early firmware while the 60 and 240GB drives used MP1 firmware like what you would get on your drive from My Digital Discount right now. This article was sponsored by My Digital Discount, the low cost SSD supplier that can make you a hero. In all seriousness, go check these guys out. They sell more than just solid state drives and use the same sales model for nearly all of their products.
For comparison products we changed things up a bit today to simplify things. Instead of showing you the performance of ten to twelve drives, we cut it down to the four OCZ Vertex 2 drives supplied by My Digital Discount and will be presenting that data up against an Intel X25-M G2 80GB. The last drive in the charts is the fastest SATA 6G platter drive on the market, the Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB.
I heard from more than a few of the readers when I said in the VelociRaptor 600GB review that I was underwhelmed by its performance. In that review I didn't post any SSD numbers since I typically don't like showing platter drives against SSDs; you will see why today. Since this isn't really a review of anything other than Capacity vs. Speed differences with the Vertex 2 drives, we will have a little fun at the same time and show some true SSD dominance over platter drives.
ATTO Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
ATTO is used by many disk manufacturers to determine the read and write speeds that will be presented to customers.
We are off to a really good start. It is like dejà vu over and over with these performance numbers. All of the drives even share the same 4K High IOPS firmware that shows up in ATTO as an additional 40 to 50MB/s in the 4K write test when compared to standard SandForce SF-1200 firmware drives.
ATTO is the industry standard for claimed performance. Here we see that OCZ Technology had it right at least officially with the claimed performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ashley Madison CEO stepping down after devastating data breach
- Final Fantasy 15 almost had VR support
- VR will slowly trickle to mainstream market, says Oculus founder
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20