You can read more about TweakTown's Storage Product Testing Workstation and the procedures followed to test products in this article.
Today we will be presenting performance data for four OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in different capacities. There was one small difference between firmware on the drives. The 100 and 120GB were tested with early firmware while the 60 and 240GB drives used MP1 firmware like what you would get on your drive from My Digital Discount right now. This article was sponsored by My Digital Discount, the low cost SSD supplier that can make you a hero. In all seriousness, go check these guys out. They sell more than just solid state drives and use the same sales model for nearly all of their products.
For comparison products we changed things up a bit today to simplify things. Instead of showing you the performance of ten to twelve drives, we cut it down to the four OCZ Vertex 2 drives supplied by My Digital Discount and will be presenting that data up against an Intel X25-M G2 80GB. The last drive in the charts is the fastest SATA 6G platter drive on the market, the Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB.
I heard from more than a few of the readers when I said in the VelociRaptor 600GB review that I was underwhelmed by its performance. In that review I didn't post any SSD numbers since I typically don't like showing platter drives against SSDs; you will see why today. Since this isn't really a review of anything other than Capacity vs. Speed differences with the Vertex 2 drives, we will have a little fun at the same time and show some true SSD dominance over platter drives.
ATTO Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
ATTO is used by many disk manufacturers to determine the read and write speeds that will be presented to customers.
We are off to a really good start. It is like dejà vu over and over with these performance numbers. All of the drives even share the same 4K High IOPS firmware that shows up in ATTO as an additional 40 to 50MB/s in the 4K write test when compared to standard SandForce SF-1200 firmware drives.
ATTO is the industry standard for claimed performance. Here we see that OCZ Technology had it right at least officially with the claimed performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- AMD's new Radeon RX 580 and RX 570 spotted
- Samsung DeX transforms your Galaxy S8 into a desktop PC
- Samsung unveils new Gear 360 camera
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design