I really quite like the GTX 470. Out of the box performance is a little ordinary, but a mean overclock on these cards with upgraded coolers and performance is very strong. At the moment the Galaxy card overclocked at 800MHz+ core is the best value card we've tested to date. We're sure that the Palit would be sitting up there as well if we did a separate OC article on that, because the model is even cheaper than the Galaxy offering.
Not everything was rosy, though. The heat is an issue, even at 100% fan speed. I mentioned to some people that generally speaking, my office runs hotter than the rest of the house because of the computer gear. It would run a little hotter again when I had the test beds running, but the problem I had with the GTX 470s SLI when overclocked was that the temperature went up another level. Considering it was only 16c here in Perth when I was doing this article, the heat in the room was worrying.
During our testing we had the top card (Palit) running over 100c with the fan set to 100%. It's not like it was even hot outside. As mentioned, it was only 16c that night and the worst we saw the card was 103c. Now, the last thing I want you to think is that the Palit card is not a good one. In the stand alone review we saw it performed much better than the reference cooler. We could've put the Galaxy card in this spot and we would've seen the same numbers, so please don't think that Palits cooling solution is inadequate.
People can cry till they're black and blue that the heat and noise doesn't make a difference, but I'm honestly telling you it does. It's bearable with one card; a lot of people will have a problem with it, but enthusiasts will handle it. SLI on the other hand is just a different ball park. It's something you really need to take note of before you go down this path. These numbers weren't seen during Furmark or anything super intensive like that; it was just games like Dark Void and Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
Performance is awesome, though. I really can't wait to see what happens when we take GTX 480s for a spin in SLI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Setup]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.