Specifications, Pricing and Availability
As a prototype there wasn't a lot of information to start with as far as specs go. We already know that the SandForce 1500 and 1200 controller uses the SATA 3G interface and judging from the early numbers by OCZ the Vertex 2 Pro is limited by the interface.
Before we draw too many parallels between the Vertex 2 Pro and the Vertex Limited Edition, there are a few things to discuss. The Vertex 2 Pro we are testing today uses a 16 channel SF 1500 controller like the one that will be issued in the flagship, enterprise bred Vertex 2 Pro EX. The difference between the EX and the non EX model will be the flash; the EX will receive super fast SLC while the Pro 2 non EX receives MLC. For the consumer the Vertex 2 Pro isn't going to matter too much since it will never see a retail shelf. OCZ has removed the product from their roadmap and replaced it with a limited edition model that will be released in just a few days, but in limited numbers. The LE retains the MLC flash but has a controller that is sort of a hybrid between the SF 1200 and SF 1500.
From the start SandForce's big tag line has been the ability to use low cost MLC flash in a way that would make it just as reliable as SLC products. Sounds like an easy task, right? Well, seeing is believing. SandForce has the most advanced solid state controller to date and they have many technical innovations that push the limits of everything we know about solid state drives. In an upcoming editorial we will cover the technology behind SandForce's first round of products that will change the game.
As for pricing and availability, the Vertex 2 Pro is dead in the water. This is one of those cases where the king is dead, long live the king. The Vertex 2 LE will take over for the Vertex 2 Pro, but if you want one you will need to act quickly as supply is limited and there is a chance e-tailers will get a little greedy with their pricing as supply dwindles. The cost is currently set at 399 for the 100GB model and 829 for the 200GB model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2 Pro]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding is an open-world action game
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- NVIDIA has 70.5% GPU market share, AMD has 29.5%
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications