It is still too early to make predictions about the demise of the 3.5" standard, but it is clear that the industry has chosen a new direction from the top to bottom. Transitions like this take time and it is easier to piggy back them with other changes, like moving from platters to flash memory. Several hard drive manufacturers have been quoted as saying that traditional platter drives have a lot of life in them, but they never said what form factor would carry them into the future.
As it sits right now, the highest capacity 2.5" drive is exactly half that of the highest capacity 3.5". Even though they are not exactly abundant, in the next two months we should see the Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB drive sitting on the shelves of Best Buy's all over the country. Around the same time, companies like Hitachi and Seagate will follow suit and then the price war starts. Before you know it we will have 1TB 2.5" drives selling for 150 USD or less and 1.5TB drives not far behind.
NAS servers, DAS enclosures and enthusiast products should see a faster adoption rate of the 2.5" standard. Enthusiasts have already fallen in love with SSDs and that romance is going to burn wildly out of control after the products from CES 2010 are unleashed. The NAS and DAS market will see similar reduced power consumption benefits as enterprise servers, but on a smaller scale. Reduced power consumption means the cost of operation will be reduced.
The 2.5" form factor market is growing rapidly and it won't be long before we see wide spread adoption that breaks through to the mainstream. Solid state drives are going to play a key role in just how quickly that happens. We have already heard about SSDs that are going to set the market on fire, but their high cost will slow progress.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Your daily WTF: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 is a real game
- Acer announces new Predator Gaming Series monitors with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015