At one time hard drives looked similar to today's laser copy machines. As time passed personal computers became popular and the hard drive shrunk to the size of a floppy disk drive an 8 inch form factor floppy disk drive. It was at this time when hard disk drives (HDDs) simply followed the form factors set by floppy disk drives (FDDs) and the two sizes were virtually interchangeable.
In 1988 PrairieTek broke with tradition and invented the first modern day HDD form factor that did not follow FDDs. The new form factor was dubbed 2.5 inch and it is now the common form factor used in most notebooks today. Oddly enough, 2.5 inch FF drives are actually 2.75 inches wide and can range in height from 7 to 15mm. A typical 2.5 inch form factor notebook is 9mm tall and can come with up to 500GB of storage capacity.
Today we are going to take a look at the 2.5 inch form factor, why the market is moving to it and some of the latest products to emerge in 2.5 inch form. We have a lot of data to cover, so let's get started.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Unikrn expands into Vegas, acquires eSports firm LEET
- Nintendo reveals foldable New 2DS XL for $149
- AMD's new Ryzen Balanced Power Plan drivers are here
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives