Real-World OpenGL Benchmarks
Quake III Arena
Quake III Arena is a real-world OpenGL benchmark that we have been using here at TweakTown for quite a while now because it has proven itself to be one of the best gaming benchmarks around to compare a wide range of different products. Quake III is getting very old, but is still the best way of testing video and PC systems for any instabilities and best performance.
An oldie but a goodie, Quake 3 Arena still is one of the best OpenGL games to test the performance of a video card and motherboard. Here we see the DDR-333 motherboards taking the lead over the two Gigabyte boards. Gigabyte's babies are sitting equal with each other.
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Voyager is another real-world OpenGL benchmark. Based on the Quake III Arena engine, this game is an OpenGL master utilizing DirectX 8. We also apply the new Opt3D patch to allow for the use of Hardware T&L as well as new optimizations for AMD Athlon XP and Pentium 4 SSE2.
While Star Trek Voyager is an old game since we have been using it for quite some time to gauge the performance of our systems. Its engine design is basically Q3A only with newer support for SSE2 and many new technologies built into today's latest video cards. Gigabyte is sitting around the middle of the pack with some very good scores. DDR-333 should see them jump a bit, but we will have to wait and hope for that in newer BIOS releases.
Jedi Knight II
Jedi Knight II, Jedi Outcast is a newly released OpenGL game that many have been waiting for. It has greatly improved graphics over its predecessor and it fully supports advanced shaders, as well as very high texture resolutions and effects. There is one demo included in the multi-player section that is good for benchmarking use. In order to enable the benchmarking mode, you have to make a shortcut to the jk2mp.exe program located in the GameData folder of Jedi Knight 2. You have to put the switch "+set sv_cheats1" (no quotes) at the end of the line in the Target Area so that it looks like this: C:\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set sv_cheats 1. The demo file used is jk2ffa.
Jedi Knight II is the latest installment, and as such an even more up-to-date OpenGL engine. While not based on the Q3A design, it still gives a great indication of how well the system performs, and it's a great game too!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 1 [Introductions]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 3 [8IEXP Features]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 4 [8IGX Features]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 5 [Overclocking and Installation]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System and Snadra]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 7 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 8 [Benchmarks - MadOnion]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 10 [Benchmarks - D3D]
- Gigabyte's New 533FSB Boards - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- iPhone 7 owners drill hole to find hidden headphone jack
- Google's 4K-ready Chromecast Ultra teased at just $69
- Microsoft rumored to launch Surface Phone in 2017
- Conjur up a free Blu-ray in our 'Conjuring 2' giveaway!
- Philadelphia 76ers acquire eSports teams Dignitas, Apex
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now