NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story
So far we have talked a lot about interfaces and controllers, but that is only half of the story. Recently Intel and Micron co-introduced 34nm flash memory. By shrinking the manufacturing process they were able to deliver lower cost, lower power flash memory for use in SSDs.
The next leap in flash technology will come from double data rate (DDR) flash memory. Just like the DDR used in our DDR random access memory (RAM), DDR flash will allow more data to flow and give us twice the effective speed. Samsung is leading the charge with their recently announced 30nm class DDR MLC NAND flash. The new MLC DDR flash reads data at 133 Mbps, up from 40 Mbps with Samsung's own single data rate flash.
Looking back at the information provided on Indilinx's page on the Jet Stream, we already know that Jet Stream will be able to use DDR NAND flash; at least that is what they are reporting now.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Opening the Data Highway]
- Page 3 [Seagate - Welcome to the Party Pal]
- Page 4 [Indilinx - Setting the Pace, Slow but Steady]
- Page 5 [Marvell - The New Hope]
- Page 6 [NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story]
- Page 7 [OCZ Technology - Going Beyond a Rebadge]
- Page 8 [PCIe SSDs - The Honorable Mentions]
- Page 9 [Pricing - SSDs True Benchmark]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- OWC Introduces 3TB Mercury Elite Pro External Storage
- Raijintek Atlantis Line of DIY Watercooling Products Now Available
- EVGA Announces the 'Bullets or Blades' Bundle
- Seagate Completes Acquisition of Dot Hill Systems
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series