NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story
So far we have talked a lot about interfaces and controllers, but that is only half of the story. Recently Intel and Micron co-introduced 34nm flash memory. By shrinking the manufacturing process they were able to deliver lower cost, lower power flash memory for use in SSDs.
The next leap in flash technology will come from double data rate (DDR) flash memory. Just like the DDR used in our DDR random access memory (RAM), DDR flash will allow more data to flow and give us twice the effective speed. Samsung is leading the charge with their recently announced 30nm class DDR MLC NAND flash. The new MLC DDR flash reads data at 133 Mbps, up from 40 Mbps with Samsung's own single data rate flash.
Looking back at the information provided on Indilinx's page on the Jet Stream, we already know that Jet Stream will be able to use DDR NAND flash; at least that is what they are reporting now.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Opening the Data Highway]
- Page 3 [Seagate - Welcome to the Party Pal]
- Page 4 [Indilinx - Setting the Pace, Slow but Steady]
- Page 5 [Marvell - The New Hope]
- Page 6 [NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story]
- Page 7 [OCZ Technology - Going Beyond a Rebadge]
- Page 8 [PCIe SSDs - The Honorable Mentions]
- Page 9 [Pricing - SSDs True Benchmark]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ASUS starts teasing the ROG MATRIX video cards are on their way
- Skylake-powered Retina MacBook models are on their way
- HTC co-founder gets a second job at a visual effects company
- Razer announces a new customizable Xbox One controller for $150
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20