NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story
So far we have talked a lot about interfaces and controllers, but that is only half of the story. Recently Intel and Micron co-introduced 34nm flash memory. By shrinking the manufacturing process they were able to deliver lower cost, lower power flash memory for use in SSDs.
The next leap in flash technology will come from double data rate (DDR) flash memory. Just like the DDR used in our DDR random access memory (RAM), DDR flash will allow more data to flow and give us twice the effective speed. Samsung is leading the charge with their recently announced 30nm class DDR MLC NAND flash. The new MLC DDR flash reads data at 133 Mbps, up from 40 Mbps with Samsung's own single data rate flash.
Looking back at the information provided on Indilinx's page on the Jet Stream, we already know that Jet Stream will be able to use DDR NAND flash; at least that is what they are reporting now.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Opening the Data Highway]
- Page 3 [Seagate - Welcome to the Party Pal]
- Page 4 [Indilinx - Setting the Pace, Slow but Steady]
- Page 5 [Marvell - The New Hope]
- Page 6 [NAND Flash - The Other Half of the Story]
- Page 7 [OCZ Technology - Going Beyond a Rebadge]
- Page 8 [PCIe SSDs - The Honorable Mentions]
- Page 9 [Pricing - SSDs True Benchmark]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elgato reveals new Stream Deck streaming hub
- Battle.net client is now called 'Blizzard'
- Mass Effect: Andromeda faces prove it needed more time
- Netflix has 25 new original TV/movies ready for April
- Facebook Messenger now features mentions and reactions
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Corsair ONE Pro SFF Gaming PC Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse