Before we wrap it all up, let's first have a quick rundown on each model and see what exactly our thoughts are on them individually.
Palit GT 240 1GB Sonic: It came as no surprise that the Palit offering was going to come out on top thanks to the extra MHz on offer in both the core and memory department. The biggest problem with the card was the amount of heat it generated. Saying that, though, the numbers weren't concerning, but it's something worth noting.
This seems to be a bit of a trade off for the high out of the box speeds; there's no doubt that if you want a fast out of the box GT 240, the 1GB GDDR5 model from Palit is the best option.
Galaxy GT 240 512MB OC: The extra boost in memory clocks gives the card a small performance increase over the stock models. We wouldn't get too excited, but if you want a bit more out of the box power, it's not a bad card.
From the looks perspective it does have one of the coolest looking coolers and while it's a little louder than the quietest ones we have, it's not the loudest and still manages to keep our core temperature at a reasonable level. What Galaxy brings to the table at the end of it all is one of the best valued GT 240s.
GIGABYTE GT 240 512MB: Probably one of the dark horses out of the pack. The cooler, while looking nice, I thought wouldn't do all that much when it came to cooling ability. What it managed to do, however, is offer some good temperatures at excellent noise levels.
If you're looking for a high quality GT 240 that's going to be whisper quiet, this is the model worth looking at. The only card similar to it when looking at noise levels is the Palit model which manages to come in considerably warmer.
AXLE GT 240 512MB: If noise isn't an issue for you and you just want something that's going to run cool, this is going to be the GT 240 for you. The temperatures we pulled off the card give us a whole lot of faith when it comes to overclocking the model.
If you're trying to avoid noise levels, you want to avoid this card. But if you want something that's going to run cool and look even cooler, the Arctic Cooling AXLE GT 240 could well be the card for you.
TwinTech GT 240 512MB: There's not a whole lot that stands out with the TwinTech GT 240; it really sits under the radar a bit. Pricing is pretty good, performance is what you would expect, noise levels sit nicely in the middle and so do the temperatures.
What you really have here is a good all round GT 240 that manages to do well in everything, but not really stand out when compared to some of the other cards which run cooler, louder and faster. If you're looking for a good, solid GT 240 and like the cooler design that TwinTech is offering us, this is a great pick up. If you want to spend more you can get a higher clocked model, or something that runs a bit cooler. But if you don't, this is a fantastic option.
If you're looking for a GT 240, the chances are we've got something here for you. We're so glad that we didn't end up with two cards that were the same. Out of the five, they all have their own individual strengths.
If you want something quiet, look at the GIGABYTE offering. If noise isn't an issue but you want something that's going to be cool running, then check out the AXLE one. Want something that's a bit faster out of the box and looks mean? The Galaxy offering is nice and if you want even more out of the box power and double the amount of memory, check out the Palit version. If you're not sure exactly what you want or need, check out the TwinTech which is a good value card that goes well in most regards.
This really could've been one of those round-ups that has five cards that carry with them the same cooler and clocks. But I'm so glad that the models that arrived have been mixed up in one way or another, be it overclocked or something fancy in the cooling department.
All the models offer us something, be it Value, Features or Performance which means the awards for each card are deserved. You just need to decide which award is more important. Once you've done that you'll probably have found the GT 240 most suitable for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Palit GT 240 1GB Sonic]
- Page 3 [Galaxy GT 240 512MB]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE GT 240 512MB]
- Page 5 [AXLE GT 240 512MB]
- Page 6 [TwinTech GT 240 512MB]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark (DX10)]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 17 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Cards Against Humanity sold nothing over Black Friday, still made $54k
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis