I was surprised when I first heard about the issues people were having when it came to overclocking. To be honest, the move to 40nm should bring with it the ability to achieve higher clock rates. Considering we were able to achieve 1000MHz on the HD 4890, we have trouble believing that this isn't going to happen on the HD 5870.
The best thing about this is that with the sheer amount of stream processors on offer from the HD 5870, every MHz is going to see a boost in performance and if we do see a 1000MHz card come out, the performance improvement should be very impressive.
At the end of it all, though, the overclock has really done little to affect our overall game play and really this is no one's fault. The bottom line is that for the most part the HD 5870 is able to offer the numbers we need to see at the resolutions we want at the default clock speeds.
Overclocking is handy in a situation where we have a minimum of 28 FPS. By bumping the clocks up slightly we can that minimum up to 31 to 32 FPS. What's happening with the HD 5870 is that we're already getting those 30 FPS minimums for the most part at all resolutions. And while it's nice to see a gain, moving from a 38 FPS minimum to 41 FPS really isn't going to affect your game play, especially when you consider we've already got our settings maxed out bar the addition of some AA until our final tests.
With that all said and done, we can't wait till companies like Sapphire release an Atomic model, ASUS give us a Voltage Tweak one, GIGABYTE work a bit of magic and hopefully bring the model into their Super Overclock line-up along with seeing other companies mix it up like HIS, too.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Right of Reply
We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Video Cards content at our Video Cards reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- Companies transitioning to better detection, response of cyberattacks
- Not a Rubix Cube - much cooler. Waterproof linux-powered cube PC
- Win a trip to Computex 2015 from GIGABYTE by overclocking your PC
- Apple teases media event for March 9, could we meet the Apple Watch?
- Bumblebee is that you? Hardware Extreme's black and yellow project
- HIS Multi-View HDOCKP USB 3.0 Portable Docking Station Review
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse