So, which driver is better? Well, let's look at it like this. For every positive result, that driver set gets a +1. For no gain we see the driver get 0, while for a drop in performance the driver gets a -1. What all this results in is the ForceWare setup getting a -5 and the Catalyst one getting a +12.
The winner by a clear margin is the Catalyst driver suite, making them the best driver for Windows 7. Of course this doesn't mean that you should install the Catalyst driver on your GTX 285, nor does it mean you can. But if you're using an ATI graphics card you can install Windows 7 knowing that for the most part your performance is going to be up more often than down.
Now, the only real problem with this score is that it shows the ForceWare in a really negative light. To be honest, though, the drops in performance are extremely small with them quite often being less than 1%.
So, while overall it might not look as positive for NVIDIA users, when looking at our other Windows 7 article we did squaring VGA performance between the two operating systems with the GTX 285 2GB from GIGABYTE and that 5% drop in performance results in only an FPS or two, which is really nothing to be worried about.
Apart from the massive CINEBENCH jump for the Catalyst setup, we find that that the few + or - % does very little for your overall game experience and the chances are you're going to be happy with the performance you get out of Windows 7, be it on an ATI based graphics card or a NVIDIA one.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- Just Cause 3's map is huge, covering 400 square miles
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis