AMD Press Conference
The first thing on our agenda was AMD's press conference. AMD's main focus in the press conference was to discuss their upcoming 8th Generation processors, the Opteron and the ClawHammer, however, most of the focus was on the Opteron. The Opteron is AMD's server processor that supports 1 to 8-way configurations with no external logic required. AMD would not release any benchmarks or comment on the Opteron's performance, however, they made it quite clear that although there would be no more changes to the hardware architecture itself, they still had quite a long way to go as far as software optimizations are concerned (BIOS and operating system tweaks, etc). They did, however, have an early Opteron system on display that featured a 4-way configuration running a 64-bit version of SuSE linux (see images below).
AMD's Opteron and ClawHammer processors:
Opteron demonstration system running on a 64-bit version of SuSE linux:
The upcomming AMD 8000 chipset:
Also on display were a variety of motherboards for the ClawHammer manufactured by AMD's partners. These were all based on upcoming chipsets from nVidia, SiS, ALi and VIA, however, it is our understanding that they were just brought in for the show and working samples are not yet available. We could not obtain any detailed information on these chipsets at this time, however, Computex has only just started and if any announcements are made during the rest of the week, we'll be sure to keep you up to date.
Various speeches were made throughout the conference to give us an introduction into what the Opteron is and the specific market AMD we targetting with it. The speakers were K J Chou (General Manager of AMD Taiwan), Henri Richard (Vice President of Worldwide Sales), Richard Heye (Vice President of Platform Engineering and Infrastructure) and Mark Bode (Division Marketting Manager of AMD Athlon processors). These speakers basically detailed what has been listed above, except with the use of an easily understood Powerpoint presentation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New map, competitive ranking system arrive for Insurgency
- Google will reportedly shame vendors into Android updates
- Lenovo says Motorola acquisition 'did not meet expectations'
- Android Auto, CarPlay available for Hyundai vehicles
- GAINWARD's GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix spotted with black/red/gold look
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Asrock MB front HD audio doesn't work (rear works)
- GA-H97-Gaming 3 trying to Raid Two 950pro's via PCIE Apadpter
- GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt not recognized
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles
- Cryorig teases two new cases bound for Computex 2016
- Toshiba launches the OCZ RD400 NVMe SSD series
- Colorful & Bykski announces first water block for GTX 1080 Founders Edition