AMD Press Conference
The first thing on our agenda was AMD's press conference. AMD's main focus in the press conference was to discuss their upcoming 8th Generation processors, the Opteron and the ClawHammer, however, most of the focus was on the Opteron. The Opteron is AMD's server processor that supports 1 to 8-way configurations with no external logic required. AMD would not release any benchmarks or comment on the Opteron's performance, however, they made it quite clear that although there would be no more changes to the hardware architecture itself, they still had quite a long way to go as far as software optimizations are concerned (BIOS and operating system tweaks, etc). They did, however, have an early Opteron system on display that featured a 4-way configuration running a 64-bit version of SuSE linux (see images below).
AMD's Opteron and ClawHammer processors:
Opteron demonstration system running on a 64-bit version of SuSE linux:
The upcomming AMD 8000 chipset:
Also on display were a variety of motherboards for the ClawHammer manufactured by AMD's partners. These were all based on upcoming chipsets from nVidia, SiS, ALi and VIA, however, it is our understanding that they were just brought in for the show and working samples are not yet available. We could not obtain any detailed information on these chipsets at this time, however, Computex has only just started and if any announcements are made during the rest of the week, we'll be sure to keep you up to date.
Various speeches were made throughout the conference to give us an introduction into what the Opteron is and the specific market AMD we targetting with it. The speakers were K J Chou (General Manager of AMD Taiwan), Henri Richard (Vice President of Worldwide Sales), Richard Heye (Vice President of Platform Engineering and Infrastructure) and Mark Bode (Division Marketting Manager of AMD Athlon processors). These speakers basically detailed what has been listed above, except with the use of an easily understood Powerpoint presentation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Last day for Windows 10 free upgrade is today
- Radeon 16.7.3 drivers improve Rise of the Tomb Raider performance
- Pay what you want for 180+ hours of game dev training
- New Prey game isn't a sequel or a reboot, it's a re-imagining
- PlayStation VR requires almost as much space as HTC Vive
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Linksys EA9500 MAX-STREAM AC5400 Wireless Router Review
- GA-X58A-UD7 Error Code 88 (or 8b something)
- Asus Stix X99
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio