AMD Press Conference
The first thing on our agenda was AMD's press conference. AMD's main focus in the press conference was to discuss their upcoming 8th Generation processors, the Opteron and the ClawHammer, however, most of the focus was on the Opteron. The Opteron is AMD's server processor that supports 1 to 8-way configurations with no external logic required. AMD would not release any benchmarks or comment on the Opteron's performance, however, they made it quite clear that although there would be no more changes to the hardware architecture itself, they still had quite a long way to go as far as software optimizations are concerned (BIOS and operating system tweaks, etc). They did, however, have an early Opteron system on display that featured a 4-way configuration running a 64-bit version of SuSE linux (see images below).
AMD's Opteron and ClawHammer processors:
Opteron demonstration system running on a 64-bit version of SuSE linux:
The upcomming AMD 8000 chipset:
Also on display were a variety of motherboards for the ClawHammer manufactured by AMD's partners. These were all based on upcoming chipsets from nVidia, SiS, ALi and VIA, however, it is our understanding that they were just brought in for the show and working samples are not yet available. We could not obtain any detailed information on these chipsets at this time, however, Computex has only just started and if any announcements are made during the rest of the week, we'll be sure to keep you up to date.
Various speeches were made throughout the conference to give us an introduction into what the Opteron is and the specific market AMD we targetting with it. The speakers were K J Chou (General Manager of AMD Taiwan), Henri Richard (Vice President of Worldwide Sales), Richard Heye (Vice President of Platform Engineering and Infrastructure) and Mark Bode (Division Marketting Manager of AMD Athlon processors). These speakers basically detailed what has been listed above, except with the use of an easily understood Powerpoint presentation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch owners can share game updates locally
- AMD teases 8K graphics workload on Radeon RX Vega
- AMD launches dual-GPU Radeon Pro Duo with 32GB of GDDR5
- Dawn of War III PC Steam deals are up to 25% off
- Colorful announces iGame GTX 1080 Ti Vulcan X OC
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family