You can see today that there is clearly more power behind the HD 4890. So, should ATI have increased the core clocks and memory clock on the cards further? - Yes and no really. For starters, we don't know what the yield rate on a 950MHz core would be; it could significantly drop the rate and increase the price of the card.
Secondly, by moving to these clocks there would be no room for OC models and we know how much companies love to do them. We have already seen GIGABYTE increase the core and memory clock; albeit, not this high.
Where ATI could have probably increased the clock, though, was with the memory. The 975MHz is very weird; they should have just gone for the straight 1000MHz clock. The other thing about having the card clocked higher would have been the difference between the card beating the GTX 260 more often and at a higher rate than its current scores against it.
With everything said and done, though, there seems to be some serious room for overclocking and once we see companies move to aftermarket cooling, there should be even more room again.
It will be exciting to see what companies like Sapphire do with TOXIC and ATOMIC models, while ASUS mix it up with the TOP series and HIS bring out an IceQ4 version with some new clocks.
What's going to be even more interesting is when we slap two of the overclocked cards together. Performance should be extremely strong and the setup should become quite attractive to a lot of people.
ATI ultimately have a really good product here and like I've said before, while it's not next generation, the name doesn't suggest it ever was going to be. It really is a HD 4870 on steroids and while we would have loved more, the price point of the card and the performance it can offer makes it a great card for people.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy 15 almost had VR support
- VR will slowly trickle to mainstream market, says Oculus founder
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20