Altec Lansing 4100 - Compact and Sleek
Proceeding through the speakers in this roundup, the next contestant is the Altec Lansing 4100 speaker system. This system falls into what I like to call the "Middle-High" category class, being a compact and very sleek 4.1 speaker system and much cheaper than the Altec Lansing 641 speaker system. The 4100 is designed for gamers like the 641 with the desired surround sound but it much tamer being an overall smaller system with only 140 watts of total system power, which is around 260 watts less powerful than the 641 speaker system, which is ironically how much cheaper the 4100's are to the 641's.
However, don't let the numbers (or the size of the speakers, for that matter) from the tech sheets trick you. During our testing the 4100's proved to be powerful and bassy. However, because the 641's have a better frequency rate among other things, the sound clarity is increased over the 4100's when the volume starts to be increased - Basically the audio isn't as defined to the trained ear, at least.
The controller of the 4100 is similar to that of the 641's, although it only has two sound modes - Gaming and Stereo x2, aside from that both are identical. The different between Gaming and Stereo x2 are that only the front two satellites are used, while Stereo x2 uses all four. I still haven't figured out what the actual function of the Gaming mode is, I fired up a couple games during testing expecting surround sound to kick in, maybe I was missing something but sound only remained through the front two satellites.
The subwoofer of the 4100's has a different design to that of the 641's and 621's. I have to say I prefer the design of the latter because of the more modern look and feel. The sub measures in at 2.25" by 12.5" with two 5.25" long-throw woofers compared to the two 6.5" long-throw woofers featured on the 641's.
If you're a gamer and are after a moderately cheap 4.1 surround sound speaker system for your PC the Altec Lansing 4100 speaker system might just be the one for you. Being $260 AU cheaper than the 641's they still are fairly expensive. You have to decided if you want the compact and sleek class of the 4100's or the raw power and grunt of the 641's, it's a decision you're going to have to make for yourself. We give the Altec Lansing 4100 speaker system a rating of 9.5 out of 10 again for an overall solid product, if it were me I would probably spend the extra dollars for the 641 speaker system.
Compact and Sleek
Good Sound Quality
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Take an Extra 15% Off All VPNs at TweakTown Deals
- Aussie Police crack down on phone use while driving
- Viral vandalism video sees young woman 'completely humiliated'
- LG announces 'Ray' smartphone for 3G markets
- Power two systems with one power supply thanks to Phanteks' splitter
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS