At the end of the day we have seen some of the best laid out, most feature packed and best overclocking boards today, and none have disappointed too much.
Thoughts on MSI
MSI has designed a very good overclocking board with heaps of features. It has a clean layout with just a few flaws. First you only get 5 PCI slots and a rather useless riser slot, useful for OEM, but not the hardcore user. Overclocking could do with a few improvements, such as increasing the Vcore limit for Northwood to 1.85v. This would allow better overclocking, and allowing more voltages on the AGP and DDR would also help. Performance-wise, the board is without peer, it was the fastest board in the pack.
Thoughts on Gigabyte
Gigabyte have ultimately the best designed board I have ever seen with only a few niggles getting in the way. First off, the placement of the power connectors does tend to inhibit the cooling of the CPU since the cables have to come over the processor. Secondly, the IRQ layouts in the BIOS tend to put just about all of the peripherals onto one IRQ address and it tends to slow up the system, especially when using networking. Overclocking this board is the best of the lot with a super-high bus score. It's the fastest i845D board we have seen.
Thoughts on Soyo
This being my first look at Soyo, and Soyo being a younger company than the other two big boys, they have done a spectacular job.
Feature-wise, the board is packed well with just one disappointment; no USB 2.0. This would have made it the ultimate board ever in terms of features. Overclocking-wise it lacks the ability to hit those high bus speeds we have seen the MSI and Gigabyte do, but it still makes a good impression.
When all is said and done, MSI has won the race with Gigabyte in a close second and Soyo coming in third. We would recommend all these boards in a heartbeat, depends on what you are looking for.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Battle of the Titans - Page 1 [It begins here]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 2 [Specifications that matter]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 3 [MSI I845 Ultra ARU]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 4 [Gigabyte GA-8IRXP]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 5 [Soyo P4I Fire Dragon LE]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 7 [Benchmarks, MadOnion]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 8 [Benchmarks, OpenGL]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 9 [Benchmarks, D3D]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 10 [Overclocking]
- Battle of the Titans - Page 11 [The final words]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- Oculus walks back restrictive DRM, pledges to not use hardware checks
- No Man's Sky is 'even bigger than you can imagine,' says dev
- Mulching is every time a good idea of tomato patio water storage ; bu
- as typically
- Bray assumed the lyrics we've been looking to check on ever since Jul
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- Mazda have eschewed amalgam but also cigarette lighter in powertrains
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines