The first dual channel DDR chipset for the AMD Athlon platform was released by nVidia, named "nForce". Instead of having a single 64-bit controller, the nForce has two 64-bit controllers which allow for twice the memory bandwidth. To make use of this, however, you need to be using two 64-bit memory modules, which, to me, is quite logical. However, again, the extra memory bandwidth is not used by the AMD Athlon because it can only provide 2.1GB/sec bandwidth, rather than the 4.2GB/sec that the nForce can theoretically provide. This is why the nForce chipset did not provide any extra performance over VIA's KT266A chipset, unlike what was originally expected.
However, if nVidia decided to base their nForce chipset around the Pentium 4 platform, things would, again, be much different. The Pentium 4 can provide up to 3.2GB/sec of bandwidth, which is about 40% higher than the Athlon's 2.1GB/sec. The reason why nVidia decided to go with the Athlon platform rather than the Pentium 4 was most probably due to licensing issues with Intel.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance