Does Megahertz Matter?
This has been something that has plagued AMD for some time now. Clock for clock, AMD's flagship processor, the AthlonXP outperforms Intel's flagship processor, the Pentium 4, by quite a significant margin. This is because the Pentium 4's pipeline is significantly longer than the AthlonXP's pipeline, and the Pentium 4 thus has to accomplish more per clock.
While hardware enthusiasts may realize this, the average consumer most probably will not, and end up purchasing a processor just because it boasts a higher megahertz rating. Intel have used this as a marketing tool for quite some time now, however, with the relatively recent release of the AthlonXP processor, AMD has attempted to wipe out this confusion by introducing a PR rating system called "Quantispeed".
The Quantispeed rating system is an estimation of real-world performance based on benchmarks that AMD has run themselves. It is NOT a comparison to a similarly clocked Intel Pentium 4 processor. For example, their 1800+ AthlonXP does not run at 1.8GHz, but rather 1.53GHz. It is arguable whether or not this was a morally correct move for AMD to make, however, it will hopefully eliminate confusion amongst consumers, and as long as AMD does not exaggerate their ratings and thus lie to consumers, I do not see anything wrong with it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 6S Marketing hopes Apple names new phone the iPhone 7, not iPhone 6s
- Pandora announces Listener Love Day on Sept. 9, a day of ad-free music
- Xbox manager: 2015 shaping up to be best year of gaming since 2007
- Entrepreneur voices concerns robots could have on human workforce
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 support Intel SSD 750 Series
- Saberthooth 990FX gpu passtrough
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015