Now we come to our newest player in the Green PC market, that being MSI. We haven't seen any green offerings from MSI until now; this could be because they haven't mastered the technology, or simply they would rather get it right the first time. We hope it's the latter in this case.
MSI has gone for a different approach to its power saving technology by changing the way the board processes energy. Rather than using a traditional top and bottom Mosfet layout with a driver IC to control the voltage flow, MSI has chosen to go with Integrated Driver Mosfet technology on this board.
How this works is a Driver Mosfet which has built into it a single IC chip comprising a top, bottom and Driver IC chip. This chip is slightly bigger than a single Mosfet but takes up less real estate on the board thanks to being a single chip rather than three having to be used. Combining this along with Hi-C Cap capacitors and solid state chokes, we get a cooler running board along with the ability to run a much more stable system.
Powering the CPU is a total of six phases which are able to be shut down one at a time and powered up one at a time to help reduce overall system power consumption. When in idle, the board can lower itself to two phases and increases one phase at a time, depending on how much the system needs. MSI has gone some extra steps to add in two phase voltage stability on the memory to keep things as stable as possible.
MSI uses its Core Centre to control; what they refer to as GreenPower, the name for the energy saving part of it. In all, the total technology system is called DrMOS technology.
The Test Board
Our test board from MSI is the P45 Platinum which we reviewed a few months ago. The same set of tests have been run on the MSI board as with the ASUS and GIGABYTE boards to determine just how far each board can go in FSB and CPU clockspeeds with both DrMOS operating and disabled. Along with this, we did tests on the amount of power used at idle and load with DrMOS enabled and disabled as well as temperatures of the major components.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [GIGABYTE DES Advanced]
- Page 3 [ASUS EPU 6]
- Page 4 [MSI DrMOS]
- Page 5 [Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup, Stock Clock Power and Heat]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Max FSB Overclock - Power and Heat]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Max CPU Overclock - Power and Heat]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen CPU combo with Corsair AIO cooler on Amazon
- Samsung's Galaxy S8+ sports huge 6.2-inch display
- Samsung's new Exynos 9 chip: 4K 120FPS camera tech
- The latest photos and details on AMD Radeon Vega
- AMD reboots itself with Ryzen, and Vega is next
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood