Whenever I find myself venturing into a new area, I always find myself reviewing the best of the best kind of item as my first one, which sets the bar incredibly high. Here is no different with the Smooth Creation Asylum system today. This thing is a beast; there's no denying it. Accompany it with a 28" monitor that's out putting 1920 x 1200 and you have an absolute dream machine.
Don't even get me started on the paint job; I still find myself a week after receiving the system in awe of the quality and overall design. The only thing that had me worried about the whole system was the price. Since I didn't get one before receiving the sample, I had to e-mail Smooth Creations and ask. I was worried it was going to be one of those price tags where if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it.
Getting an e-mail back with a price tag of $3100US including the paint job and shipping was kind of shocking. Considering it's also packing a QX series processor under that custom painted chassis, there isn't a whole lot you could complain about. Throw the nicely overclocked Diamond HD 4870 XOC Black Edition into the mix and you've got a very mean gaming system that any gamer would be happy to have sitting on their desk.
So much detail has been put into the system, from component choice to paint job to cable management. When I first opened the system up, the only thing I didn't really agree with was the choice to use a Foxconn motherboard. While we've been happy with them in the past, I've never used one personally and tend to stick to companies like GIGABYTE or ASUS. Once discovering the processor was also of the QX variety, I thought that the board was going to limit some of the fun we could have. It didn't, though; it ran like an absolute dream at stock and overclocked settings while performing like we couldn't even imagine.
There aren't many companies I would trust building a system for myself. I could whole heartedly say, though, that Smooth Creations would be one of them. They have no doubt done a fantastic job and hopefully we'll be seeing more from them in the future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Outside]
- Page 3 [The Inside]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - wPrime]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Everest]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft has reportedly fired 60 engineers working on HoloLens
- Recreational drone literally pokes UK toddler's eye out
- Nintendo NX has a 60% chance at succeeding, says analyst
- iPad Pro chip A9X broken down, specs revealed
- AMD Crimson driver causing fan issues, hotfix incoming
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis