We have to say going into the review of the GeForce 9800 GTX, we weren't expecting a lot. We are quite a fan of the GeForce 9800 GX2 but when we sit down and wonder if we would spend our hard earned money on it, you tend to think of the product in a different perspective. A week ago you couldn't go past the 9800 GX2 for the plain fact that it was the fastest graphics card on the market. Quad SLI also showed potential in games that are able to make full use of the technology like Crysis at the higher resolutions.
Even though this is one of our typical early tests using drivers available at the time of testing, NVIDIA's 9800 GTX is a fantastic product - at times it's even able to perform on par with the GX2 and sometimes even better if the game isn't able to make full use of SLI technology. What makes the GTX so attractive though is the price point - although, we must say that, when push comes to shove, the choice to not spend slightly more on the HD 3870 X2 is going to be a hard one to make, if you are neither an AMD nor NVIDIA fan. With the advancements AMD make in its Catalyst drivers every month, you have to wonder in two months time how the HD 3870 X2 and new GTX are going to fair against each other.
If you've set a strict budget of $500 or under the GeForce 9800 GTX is going to be the graphics card of choice. If you find yourself though being tempted to spend more, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 is probably going to quickly become a real possibility with all the numbers considered.
Stepping it up a notch or two, what we really need to know now is how not only three-way SLI goes but normal SLI as getting a pair of 9800 GTX cards should be only a little more expensive than a single 9800 GX2. The only problem is that you will require an SLI motherboard, which if you're a happy owner of an X38 or P35 based motherboard, might be a little hard to swallow a yet another upgrade, when you have a perfectly capable board already.
The GTX is a great single GPU graphics card which is pretty much going to halt any future purchases on the G92 8800GTS but it is not revolutionary, which is what a new naming scheme should be as far as we are concerned. If you were hoping for some really huge improvements over the 8800GTS, you'll have to wait for Nvidia's new technology.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR) - XP]
- Page 17 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by a whole year
- Samsung didn't infringe on NVIDIA patents, judge says
- Microsoft goes on tour with HoloLens AR demos
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent