G0ing for G0ld!
3.8GHz was stable, though at 1.6 volts on the CPU we wouldn't want to be running it every day. Further tweaking may find you achieving this at closer to 1.5 volts. We're also not on the best cooling solution around; while we're a lot better than an air cooler, the Corsair Nautilus500 while being a very capable cooling solution doesn't have anything on serious setups with 3x 120MM radiators which give you the ability to run higher voltage settings over a longer period of time. Unless you're in Antarctica we wouldn't recommend you venture to 1.6 volts unless your CPU has a bit of a death wish.
In the moment of high clock speeds we were feeling a little bit crazy and thought we would go for 4GHz.
..and we got it!
1.66 volts later and a whole lot of time we managed to break that magical 4GHz mark. I don't consider myself a hardcore overclocker but for this little achievement a pat on the back was well deserved!
We almost hit 16,500 3DMarks which is almost 500 up on the 3.8GHz run so the speed increase could continue to be seen in 3DMark06.
We ran our Crossfire cards at complete stock so no doubt we will soon be going back to 4GHz and clocking one of the cards up, since we can't do them both just yet.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What parts do we need?]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 7 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 8 [G0ing for G0ld!]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4-player coop mode coming to Watch Dogs 2 in June
- The first images from the new Tomb Raider movie are here
- First 'IT' trailer brings Pennywise back to terrify
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design