AMD's ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card really does continue to show how it can be a dominant card in the market and that the next offering from AMD/ATI should be a strong competitor, we think.
Sure, Nvidia's GeForce 8800 Ultra continues to win but at pricing starting at around or sometimes over 40% of the HD 2900 XT, you would expect it too as well. You throw in the fact that the Intel P35 is the new "in" chipset (which currently only supports Crossfire for its dual graphics system) you really have to look at the HD 2900 XT as the graphics card of choice.
ASUS have got a fabulous HD 2900 XT package as well - the inclusion of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. alongside the normal Black Box is excellent and at least you feel you're getting something extra for your money.
It is also good to see that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is bundled with the 8800 Ultra but so it should - there should be two or three copies at this price! The card is expensive and it's not ASUS fault. Nvidia is charging their partners literally a robotic arm and leg from their manufacturing plants for the chips, even after the recent price drop (from $830 USD to about $700 USD for standard non-factory OC versions) which probably wasn't really even enough.
With the new ATI Catalyst 6.7 drivers from AMD due out very soon, no doubt the HD 2900 XT is at the top of the priority list when it comes to performance improvements and even if it doesn't end up beating the 8800 Ultra, at only half the price, it is very easy to see the value in the Radeon HD 2900 XT. It got some bad press at launch but every time we take a closer look at it, it just seems to get better and better.
If anything the release of the Ultra and the high price take makes the HD 2900 XT look even better as it's not much slower (especially when overclocked, not far behind at all) but so much cheaper.
ASUS HD 2900 XT Summary
Great value for money!
Nice overclocking performance
Excellent gaming bundle
Monthly driver updates
No 6-pin to 8-pin power connector included
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editor's Choice Award!
ASUS 8800 Ultra Summary
Fastest card on the market
Bundle lacking for the price
Rating - 7 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [ASUS HD 2900 XT - Package]
- Page 3 [ASUS HD 2900 XT - Card]
- Page 4 [ASUS 8800 Ultra - Package]
- Page 5 [ASUS 8800 Ultra - Card]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - RyderMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Lost Coast HDR)]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Supreme Commander]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Overclocking]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie makes Destiny 2 official with an artwork tease
- HTC Vive partners with WB for Ready Player One
- Android co-founder teases his upcoming smartphone
- Elon Musk teases Model Y for 'S3XY' lineup
- Samsung confirms that the Note7 isn't quite dead yet
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse