Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3GHz (333MHz FSB x 9)
Motherboard(s): ASUS P5B Deluxe, ASUS P5K Deluxe and ASUS P5K3 Deluxe (Supplied by ASUS)
Video Card(s): XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra XXX (Supplied by XFX)
Hard Disk(s): Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA 2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Drivers: Nvidia ForceWare 158.22 and DX9c
Intel P35 chipset brings with it full support for the new 333MHz FSB processors coming from Intel in the coming months. Setting our FSB to 333MHz we achieve a clock speed of 3GHz and emulate what the new E6850 Core 2 Duo processor from Intel should be like.
Now while we achieved this front side bus on all three boards without any problems, the RAM dividers on the P965 motherboard from ASUS is slightly different to that of the new P35 chipset and its motherboards. When at 333MHz FSB we could set the P5K and P5K3 to run our memory at 800MHz (DDR-2 only!), 1066MHz (default speed for the XMS3) and 1333MHz (DDR-3 only!).
The P5B Deluxe P965 let us run at 833MHz and 1000MHz on our DDR-2 memory, meaning that at the lower speed it was clocked slightly higher and at the higher slightly lower than its P35 DDR-2 counterpart.
While we thought all these different setups were exciting we thought we had to have a closer look at what DDR-3 was going to be capable of, while leaving the voltage at the standard 1.5V it was time to increase the FSB since at 333MHz the highest divider was setting the memory at 1333MHz. The only way we would increase the DDR-3 beyond this meant that the processor was also going to get a bump in speed so please make a note of this. With default voltage in hand we found ourselves hitting a wall at 1500MHz DDR or 375MHz FSB with a 1:2 divider.
IMPORTANT NOTE - Now while the results are significantly higher in most sections please remember that the processor is now running at 3.375GHz as opposed to the flat 3GHz in all our other tests.
SiSoft Sandra XI
Version and / or Patch Used: XL
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
Looking at the P965 and P35 DDR-2 performance we can see that results are very similar. Moving to DDR-2 vs. DDR-3 it is not until we are at 1333MHz that we see that we are slightly ahead of all the other setups. The looser 7-7-7-21 timings see us slightly behind DDR-2 running at the same speed (1066MHz) using 5-5-5-15 but going slightly more aggressive with the DDR-3 and getting 7-5-5-10 we can see that it is slightly faster than all the other memory clocked at 1066MHz. 1333MHz gives us another slight increase at 1500MHz with our CPU speed running faster showing us the biggest amount of performance.
Across the board the latency of the DDR-3 generally seems to be better, especially when we become more aggressive with the timings. What is interesting is at 1333MHz the latency takes a bit of a hit thanks to the very loose timings. It is not until we move higher up to 1500MHz with the CPU clocked up that we are able to achieve results only slightly better than the DDR-3 at 7-5-5-10 or DDR-2 at 5-5-5-15.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance