Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 at different speeds (Supplied by Intel)
Memory: 2 x 1GB DDR2-1066 Corsair in Dual Channel @ 1:1 (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk: 500GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA (Supplied by Seagate)
Graphics Card: MSI Radeon X1950 Pro (Supplied by MSI)
Cooling: Gigabyte Neon775 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Drivers: Intel INF 18.104.22.1687, ATI Catalyst 7.1 and DX9c
Today we are pitting our early and non-final P35 based motherboard (we can't say where we got it from due to NDA reasons) against the Gigabyte solid and well performing P965-DQ6 motherboard based on the Intel P965 chipset.
Since P35 is designed to replace the P965 chipset, we wanted to see how everything stacked up, even though the P35 motherboard we have is still in early development and using first revision chipset silicon. Since overclocking is not up to scratch yet, we didn't even bother attempting overclocking tests but naturally Intel will improve this and being based on 65nm process technology, we may end up seeing even better FSB OC results than the impressive P965.
We used our Core 2 Extreme CPU however we decided to run the FSB at 266MHz and 333MHz on both motherboards to determine just how much difference there is in performance on both chipsets when running at the exact same clock and FSB speeds. Since this chipset is designed to work with the new Core 2 1333MHz FSB processors, we simulated this with our Core 2 Extreme as we are able to select different multipliers and bus speeds and all E6000 series processors will all have 4MB of L2 cache.
We used 8 x 333MHz and 9 x 333MHz to simulate upcoming Core 2 E6750 and E6850 Dual Core processors speeds. We also simulated a current E6700 and X6800 by running the Extreme processor at 10 x 266MHz and 11 x 266MHz. Memory was also operating at 1:1 at all times.
Will we see any performance boost going from an FSB of 266MHz FSB to 333MHz FSB? Let's take a look!
Version and / or Patch Used: 2007
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
This test we are only testing the differences between the two CPU setups. Moving to the 1333MHz FSB has improved the synthetic scores a little.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [P35 "Bearlake" Performance Preview]
- Page 2 [Bearlake Chipset Details]
- Page 3 [I/O Controller Hubs (ICH9)]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tesla founder deletes his tweet that hinted towards 'Model Y' vehicle
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- GUITAR HERO LIVE PITS JAMES FRANCO AGAINST LENNY KRAVITZ IN AN EPIC ROCK BATTLE WITH THE PREMIERE OF THE 'WIN THE CROWD' LIVE-ACTION TRAILER